When the same cooking oil is reused, aldehydes form which are carcinogenic.Vegetable oils like sunflower and corn oil when reused alters the physiochemical, sensory and nutritional properties and leads to the formation of carcinogenic compounds. Indian Households makes use of cooking oil extensively. Common people are unaware of the health risks caused by reusing cooking oil. Here are some simple tips to follow while reusing cooking oil.
- Used cooking oil should be consumed in a day or two.Storing it for longer periods is extremely dangerous to health as the rate of deterioration is higher in used oil.
- Do not mix used oil with fresh cooking oil.
- Take the right quantity of oil to cook so that there is less wastage. Minimise the usage of oil so that there is very less leftover.
- After using the oil, allow it to cool and filter the oil to remove the food particles in it. Store it separately in an air tight container.
- While reusing oil make sure that there is no rancid odour or foams. If so, it is better to discard the oil.
- Do not use the reused oil after a month or two.Make sure that you use it within a few days of time.