Child marriage is a violation of human rights. Child marriage is defined as a marriage of a girl or boy before the age of 18 and refers to both formal marriages and informal unions in which children under the age of 18 live with a partner as if married.
The highest rate of child marriage in the world is in South Asia. Child marriage is the result of the interplay of economic and social forces.
Early marriage denies girls their right to make vital decisions about their sexual health and well-being. In many places, child marriage is a traditional practice. Child marriage is a complex issue. When a girl starts menstruation, the society think she become a woman. So the next step is marriage. Girls are seen as a burden on their family, so child marriage helps the parents to ease economic poverty by transferring this burden to her husband’s family.
Some disadvantages of child marriage are the following.
1) Responsibility has to be shouldered at a very young age.
2) Missing out on the fun of teenage life and being young.
3) Health also can get affected as early pregnancy can have a negative impact on overall health.
4) Breakdown of marriage is possible
5) Education also gets affected.
6) Bringing up children would be difficult.